10 Year Framework of Programmes on Sustainable Consumption and Production (10YFP)
The 10 Year Framework of Programmes on Sustainable Consumption and Production (10FYP) is a global framework of action to enhance international cooperation to accelerate the shift towards SCP in both developed and developing countries. The framework supports capacity building, and facilitates access to technical and financial assistance for developing countries for this shift. The 10YFP aims at developing, replicating and scaling up SCP and resource efficiency initiatives, at national and regional levels, decoupling environmental degradation and resource use from economic growth, and thus increasing the net contribution of economic activities to poverty eradication and social development. The framework is meant to encourage innovation and cooperation among all stakeholders.
“ Fundamental changes in the way societies produce and consume are indispensable for achieving global sustainable development. All countries should promote sustainable consumption and production patterns, with the developed countries taking the lead and with all countries benefiting from the process, taking into account the Rio principles... Governments, relevant international organizations, the private sector and all major groups should play an active role in changing unsustainable consumption and production patterns;” A/CONF.216/5
The 10YFP has the following objectives:
- Accelerate the shift towards SCP, supporting regional and national policies and initiatives.
- Contributing to resource efficiency and decoupling economic growth from environmental degradation and resource use, while creating decent jobs and economic opportunities and contributing to poverty eradication and shared prosperity.
- Mainstream SCP into sustainable development policies, programmes and strategies, as appropriate, including into poverty reduction strategies.
- Support capacity building and facilitate access to financial and technical assistance for developing countries, supporting the implementation of SCP activities at the regional, sub-regional and national levels.
- Enable all stakeholders to share information and knowledge on SCP tools, initiatives and best practices, raising awareness and enhancing cooperation and development of new partnerships – including public-private partnerships.
PAPER: Ten Steps to the 10YFP: A suggested navigation guide, Jeffrey Barber, 2011
|PAPER: Barber; Ten Steps to the 10YFP: A suggested navigation guide|
|File Size:||815 kb|
PAPER: Still Waiting for Delivery: A Review of Progress and Programs in the 10-Year Framework, Jeffrey Barber